When I began compiling my list of radio's most essential people, I wanted to honor the people who'd made the greatest impact on radio. I also wanted to represent every type of person who contributed to great radio. It'd be easy to make a list full of leading actors and actresses. But that wasn't the stuff of old time radio. It was comedy, drama, and music. I wanted to be sure that the character actor and actresses who made radio truly great got their due, as did the creative minds who made programs like Yours Truly Johnny Dollar and Boston Blackie as good as they weren't without appearing behind the mike.
So after eight months, the list is done.
We had 100 names and they included lead actors, comedians, singers, band leaders, character actors, writers, and announcers. Of course, along the way, I've had questions and even as I look at the list there are a few calls I struggled with.
The biggest regret were all the people who couldn't quite fit into the top 100, so I'll offer some honorable mentions:
Betty Lou Gerson
J. Carrol Naish
The Easy Aces
Vic and Sade
Of course, our own biases play into our picks. Some fans may feel I overrated some choices such as Meredith Willson (#37) and Gordon Macrae (#28). Maybe, but I feel they've been underrated for far too long.
The toughest choice was #1. To be honest, throughout the eight months, I went back and forth between Welles and Benny. In the end, my conviction settled around Welles, though I definitely understand the case for Mr. Benny.
My hope with this list is not that this be the last word in greats of radio, but that'll inspire others to honor and write about the folks who made radio.
Below is list with links to each article. Please note that all items between links are covered at the top link. So the link on the #100 list will contains ranks for #96-100, and the link on #95 will contain information on #91-95, and so on.
100) Vic Perrin-Character Actor.
99) Jock Macgregor-Writer, Producer, Director.
98) Humphrey Bogart, Actor, star of Bold Venture.
97) Dennis Day-Singer, star of A Day in the Life of Dennis Day.
96) Barton Yarborough, Character Actor.
95) Lon Clark, Actor, Star of Nick Carter.
94) Shirley Mitchell, Character Actress.
93) William Bendix, Star of The Life of Riley.
92) Edward Arnold, Actor, Star of Mr. President.
91) Frances Langford, Singer, Star of The Bickersons.
90) Frank Nelson, Character Actor.
89) Bill Goodwin, Announcer and Actor.
88) David Friedkin and Morton Fine, Writing Team-Broadway's My Beat.
87) Raymond Burr, Character Actor and Star of Fort Laramie.
86) Frank Sinatra, Singer, Actor, Star of Rocky Fortune.
85) Himan Brown, Producer/Director-Flash Gordon, Inner Sanctum, Barrie Craig, Confidential Investigator, CBS Mystery Theater.
84) William Gargan, Actor/Announcer, Star of I Deal in Crime, Martin Kane, and Barrie Craig.
83) Damon Runyan, Writer.
82) Mandell Kramer, Character Actor, Star of It's a Crime, Mr. Collins and Yours Truly Johnny Dollar(1961-62).
81) Lucille Ball, Comedienne, Actress, Star of My Favorite Husband.
80) Arthur Godfrey, Singer, Talk Show Host.
79) Les Damon, Actor, star of The Thin Man, the Adventures of the Abbotts, The Adventures of the Falcon, ABC Mystery Theater.
78) John Dehner, Character Actor, Star of Have Gun, Will Travel.
77) Robert Ripley, Host of Ripley's Believe it Or Not.
76) Robert Young, Actor, Star of Father Knows Best.
75) Fanny Brice, Comedienne, "Baby Snooks."
74) Lionel Barrymore, Actor, Star of "Mayor of the Town, "Scrooge" in annual live performances of The Christmas Carol.
73) Gene Autry-Western Singer.
72) William Johnstone, Character Actor, Star of The Shadow and The Line Up.
71) Anne and Frank Hummert-Radio Writers and Producer Team.
70) Groucho Marx, Comedian, Host of You Bet Your Life.
69) Martha Wilkerson-GI Jill, host of The GI Jive during World War II.
68) Basil Rathbone-Actor, star of The New Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, Scotland Yard, and Tales of Fatima.
67) Ozzie and Harriet-Actor/Actress, Band Leader and Singer, Stars of The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet.
66) Fredrick Ziv-Producer of Syndicated radio programs including Boston Blackie, I Was a Communist for the FBI, and The Cisco Kid.
65) Harry Bartell, Announcer, Character Actor.
64) Cathy Lewis, Actress, Star of On Stage.
63) Abbott and Costello, Comedy Team.
62) Rudy Vallee, Singer, Variety Show Host.
61) Don Ameche, Announcer, Actor, Star of The Bickersons.
60) Harold Peary, Comedian, Singer, Star of The Great Gildersleeve and The Harold Peary Show.
59) Art Linkletter, Announcer, Host of People Are Funny and House Party.
58) Arch Oboler, Radio Writer for Light's Out and Arch Oboler's Plays.
57) Mercedes McCambridge, Actress, Star of Defense Attorney.
56) William N. Robson-Producer/Director/Write-Escape, Suspense, Man Behind the Gun.
55) Ben Wright, Character actor, Star of Sherlock Holmes and Pursuit.
54) Hans Conreid, Character Actor.
53) Hebert Marshall, Actor, Star of The Man Called X.
52) Phil Harris, Singer, Comedian, Star of The Phil Harris and Alice Faye Show
51) Jeanette Nolan, Character Actress.
50) Howard Duff, Actor/Announcer, Star of Sam Spade.
49) Eve Arden, Actress, Star of Our Miss Brooks.
48) Claudia Morgan, Actress, Star of The Thin Man and The Adventures of the Abbotts.
47) Eddie "Rochester" Anderson, Comedian.
46) Jean Hersholt, Actor, Star of Dr. Christian.
45) Agnes Moorhead, Character Actress.
44) Jackson Beck-Actor, Announcer on Adventures of Superman.
43) Jack Moyle, Character Actor, Star of Rocky Jordan.
42) Frank Lovejoy, Character Actor, Announcer, Star of Night Beat.
41) Gertrude Berg, Writer/Actress, Star of The Goldbergs.
40) Gerald Mohr, Character Actor, Star of The Adventures of Philip Marlowe.
39) Edgar Bergen, Comedian, Ventriloquist.
38) Alan Reed, Character Actor.
37) Meredith Willson, Actor, Song Writer, Band Leader.
36) Red Skelton , Comedian.
35) Glenn Miller, Band leader.
34) Norman Corwin, Writer.
33) Jimmy Durante, Comedian.
32) Carlton Morse, Writer and Producer of One Man's Family and I Love a Mystery.
31) Dick Powell, Singer, Actor, Star of Rogue's Gallery and Richard Diamond Private Investigator.
30) William Spier, Producer/Director-Suspense, Duffy's Tavern, The Adventure's of Sam Spade.
29) Paul Frees, Character Actor.
28) Gordon McRae, Singer, Star of The Railroad Hour.
27) Bud Collyer, Announcer, Star of The Adventures of Superman.
26) Eddie Cantor, Comedian and Singer.
25) Norm McDonnell, Producer/Director of Adventures of Philip Marlowe and Gunsmoke.
24) Kate Smith, Singer, Talk Show Host/Variety Show Host.
23) Bruce Beamer, Actor, star of The Lone Ranger.
22) Fred Allen, Comedian.
21) Mel Blanc, Character Actor.
20) Lum 'n Abner, Comedy team (Norris Goff and Chester Lauck.)
19) Lurene Tuttle, Character Actress.
18) Jack Johnstone, Writer, Director, Producer, Adventures of Superman, The Man Called X, and Yours Truly Johnny Dollar.
17) Dinah Shore, Singer.
16) Amos'n Andy, Comedy Team (Freeman Gosden and Charles Correll.)
15) Lawrence Dobkin, Character Actor, star of The Adventures of Ellery Queen.
14) George Burns and Gracie Allen, Comedy Team.
13) Bob Bailey, Actor, Star of Let George Do It and Yours Truly Johnny Dollar(1955-60).
12) Al Jolson, Singer, Variety Show Host.
11) Jack Webb, Actor/Director, Creator and Star of Dragnet, Star of Pat Novak for Hire and Jeff Regan.
10) Joseph Kearns, Character Actor.
9) Elliot Lewis, Actor, Producer, Director, star of Voyage of the Scarlet Queen, Casebook of Gregory Hood, Producer of Broadway's My Beat and Suspense.
8) Fibber McGee and Molly, Comedy Team (Jim and Marion Jordan).
7) William Conrad, Character, Star of Gunsmoke.
6) Gale Gordon, Character Actor, star of Flash Gordon and Casebook of Gregory Hood.
5) Virginia Gregg, Character Actress.
4) Bing Crosby, Singer.
3) Bob Hope, Comedian.
2) Jack Benny, Comedian.
1) Orson Welles, Actor, Director, Producer, Writer. Director and Star of <i>The Mercury Theater</i> programs. Star of <i>The Shadow</i> and <i>The Lives of Harry Lime</i>.
If you enjoyed this post, you can have new posts about Detective stories and the golden age of radio and television delivered automatically to your Kindle.
- Copyright Questions
- Listener Support
- Sponsor the Show
- The Big List of Detective Old Time Radio Shows
- Nick Carter
- Philip Marlowe
- Police Headquarters
Friends of the Show
Great OTR LInks
- Archive.org Old Time Radio Collection
- Calfkiller Old Time Radio
- Old Time Radio Catalog
- Old Time Radio Researcher's Group
- OTR Buffet
- OTR Buffet
- Radio Gold Index
- Radio Mick Danger
- Tennessee Bill's Old Time Radio Library
- The Vintage Radio Place
- Thrilling Detective Radio Show Archive
Other Old Time Radio Shows
- A Life in Your Hands
- Adventures of the Abbotts
- Agatha Christie
- Audio Drama Review
- Auguste Dupin
- Barrie Craig
- Book Excerpt
- Book Review
- Box 13
- Call the Police
- Campbell's Playhouse
- Candy Matson
- Carter Brown
- Casebook of Gregory Hood
- Cases of Mr. Ace
- Cavalcade of America
- CD Review
- Christopher London
- Classic Film
- Classic Television
- Cold War
- Colonial Radio Theater
- Court of Last Resort
- Crime Club
- Crime on the Waterfront
- Detective Movie Special
- Detective Story
- Dr. Tim Detective
- Dr. Who
- DVD Review
- Edgar Allan Poe
- Erle Stanley Gardener
- Father Brown
- Flash Gordon
- Frank Race
- Golden Age Article
- Hard Boiled
- Hardy Boys
- Harry Nile
- Have Gun Will Travel
- Hercule Poirot
- Here Comes McBride
- Homicide O'Kane
- I Deal in Crime
- I'm the Law
- Jack Webb
- Jeff Regan
- Johnny Fletcher
- Johnny Madero
- Leonidas Witherall
- Let George Do It
- Lock Up
- Lux Radio Theater
- Martin Kane
- Michael Shayne
- Miss Pinkerton Incorporated
- Modern radio drama
- Molle Mystery Theater
- Movie Review
- Mr. Chameleon
- Mr. Malone
- Mr. Moto
- Mr. Wong
- Murder Clinic
- Mystery Award Theater
- Mystery Special
- Nancy Drew
- NBC University Theater
- Nero Wolfe
- Nick Carter
- Old Gold Radio Theater
- Old Time Radio
- OTR Clippings
- Pat Novak
- Pat Novak for Hire
- Perry Mason
- Pete Kelly's Blues
- Philip Marlowe
- Play it Again
- Police Blotter
- Police Headquarters
- Powder River
- Racket Squad
- Radio Drama
- Rogue's Gallery
- Sam Spade
- Screen Director's Playhouse
- Screen Guild Theatre
- Sherlock Holmes
- Show Announcements
- Show News
- Slime Incorporated
- Soft Boiled
- Studio One
- Telefilm Review
- The Big Guy
- The Chase
- The Fat Man
- The Hunters
- The Line Up
- The McCoy
- The Saint
- Thin Man
- TV Detectives
- Upcoming Programming
- Video Theater
- World War II
- X Minus One
- You Ought to be on DVD
- Yours Truly Johnny Dollar
- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- February 2011
- January 2011
- December 2010
- November 2010
- October 2010
- September 2010
- August 2010
- July 2010
- June 2010
- May 2010
- April 2010
- March 2010
- February 2010
- January 2010
- December 2009
- November 2009
- October 2009
- September 2009